Yukon Dive specialise in fun packed adventure diving trips to the Poor Knights Islands, 23km off the Tutukaka Coast in Northland, New Zealand.
As a small independently run operation with smaller groups of divers, we are able to tailor the diving to suit the level of experience etc. Also due to our size and many years experience of diving at the Poor Knights, we do our best to dive more adventurous and less crowded sites. We give fantastic dive briefs so that you can buddy up and go off and explore at your own leisure or you can dive with one of our amazing guides.
We have 2 dive boats available and can cater for all levels of diving experience, from new divers to technical divers. Please let us know your level of experience when you book and we will make sure you are on the best trip for maximising your safety and enjoyment.
- Friends & Family – If you have friends or family who would like to come out to the Poor Knights, we are happy for them to come along too on a Sightseeing/Snorkelling/Kayaking Day Trip.
- Poor Knights Islands Try Dive – If you aren’t PADI certified but would like to try diving at the Poor Knights Islands Yukon can offer you a special 30-45 minute Try Dive with a qualified PADI Dive Instructor during your trip.
What to expect with Yukon Dive
- We meet at 8.15am on Marina A8 (Arrow) or J1 (Pacific Hideaway) at Tutukaka Marina.
- Please note we do not have a dive shop at Tutukaka Marina. In the morning before the dive, we meet at the boats which are moored just in front of the Whangarei Deep Sea Anglers Club, which is the first buliding on the right down Marina Road in Tutukaka. (There are only 2 buildings on the right hand side of the road, if you get to the Marina Office you have gone too far!).
- Our team will welcome you aboard our boat (Arrow or Pacifc Hideaway). There will be paperwork to be completed, payments to be made and we will sort out any hire gear you may require if you do not have your own scuba and snorkel equipment with you.
- Then a safety brief will be done and we will head off to the Poor Knights. The trip itself takes approximately 50 minutes depending on the weather conditions on the day.
- We will visit 2 different sites, one in the morning and another in the afternoon. The dive sites are chosen on the day depending on weather, any special requests and where the other operators are etc. During the lunch break/surface interval we do a tour of the Islands, taking the boat through beautiful arches, into shafts and the amazing Riko Riko Cave so that everyone will have a chance to enjoy the sightseeing as well. Whilst at anchor everyone will have the opportunity to go kayaking as we have 2 courtesy kayaks available for use.
- We generally return to the Marina around 4.30pm. If you are relying on public transport we suggest you consider staying the night in Tutukaka so you don’t have to rush off and that way you can come an join us for a “debrief and some refreshments” at the attractive Marina Pizzeria overlooking the marina. We love to find out about your experience at the Poor Knights with Yukon Dive.
- We supply tea, coffee, drinking water and soup all day long, however would recommend you bring a cut lunch to keep you going. Salt Air Café in Ngunguru (a small beachside town before Tutukaka) has sandwiches and other lovely lunches ready made or alternatively there is a local store in Tutukaka for sandwiches, wraps and other supplies.
Our Dive Boats
Arrow is a specifically designed 35 foot aluminum dive boat with a full cabin providing shelter out of the elements, a small galley, nice clean toilet and a hot fresh water shower on the duck board. There are 2 open step dive ladders making getting back on board the boat a breeze.
Pacific Hideaway is a specifically designed 16m catamaran dive boat with loads of room, comfort and shelter out of the elements, seperate men & women toilet’s and a hot fresh water shower in the cockpit.
What you need to bring with you….
- Light lunch
- Bathing suit
- Camera for great memories!
- Warm layer of clothing, just in case the weather changes or you get a bit cool after your diving
- A sense of humour!
- Tea, coffee and a variety of hot soups
- Snacks such as peanuts, biscuits and lollies
We have a large range of good quality scuba and snorkel gear available for hire if you do not have your own equipment.
Poor Knights Diving Day Trip Prices
|Full Day Trip Type||No. of Dives||Dive Cert. Required?||Price|
|Poor Knights Trip including full equipment||2||Yes||$NZ290|
|Poor Knights Trip including tanks & weights||2||Yes||$NZ245|
|Poor Knights Trip with all own gear||2||Yes||$NZ190|
|Try Dive (with instructor) Trip including full equipment||1||No||$NZ330|
|Adult Sightseeing/Snorkel/Kayak Trip including gear*||0||No||$NZ190|
|Child under 12 (non-diving) trip including gear*||0||No||$NZ95|
|Family Sightseeing/Snorkel Package (2 adults/2 children)||0||No||$NZ500|